Kanye West, just a call away



On Monday, Blair Blanco shared with me that Mr. "Love Lockdown," Kanye West himself, would be holding a special conference call with his fans. Of course, I was all over it. Fans were invited through receiving a special email and passcode. Today was the day, the day that I, along with hundreds of other fans would share a phone line with Ye. Although he was scheduled to chat it up with his supporters around 1:30 pm, Ye didn't hop on the line until a little after two. But at as a surprise, callers were first treated to a Q&A session with DJ Khaled and Ace Hood, whose album drops Tuesday. DJ Khaled and Ace Hood thanked their fans, and Hood even broke the ice by freestyling. Finally, it was time for Mr. West, and he opened up about everything from his new album "808s and Heartbreaks" to his reallife heartbreak, to his new single with Jeezy, "Amazin'." Unfortunately, callers weren't able to ask Ye any questions as promised, but we did get an ear full, And now, you will too.


The Conference Call:


Kanye West: Yo, I just want to thank everybody for their support first of all. I’m at a listening session playing my joint for the people in the UK cuz I feel like I love doing listening sessions cuz it feels like Christmas Day when the parents get to see the kids open up their gifts, cuz I feel like I try to give the gift of music, cuz this album has been like basically based off the devastation and the hurt that I’ve felt within the past year of all the losses that I went through and shit and kind of settling into sort of being like this fucking super famous alien where every where I go, somebody wants a fucking photograph.

And you know it’s hard when you not really a celebrity, but you just a real person that end up just being famous for your craft, but what’s good, is it’s therapeutic for me. It’s a better option than suicide, just like keep on putting out music and art, but of course I got a lot of backlash for my medium that I wanted to do this in. And I created a thing, I call Heartbreak. It’s like a mixed drink and it’s like auto tune beats and distortion wit a bit of delay on it and a whole bunch of fucked up life where I put on to records and that’s what I call my heartbreak and that every record basically has. I’m delivering what I feel like is art and that’s what I want to deliver at this point from now on... I feel like niggas be givin up or try to make music on a Quincy Jones level and on this record I’m trying to improve my craft and trying to take my shit to a level that no nigga eva made it to. You know, no nigga’s rocked no 50,000 people, no 100,000 stadiums ten years after they records came out. And for anybody that saw the tour, you know my goal is to take it to a whole 'nother level. You know, so today we bout to drop one of the records everbody’s talking about is “Amazin'” featuring Jeezy. I wanted to personally make this call before Chris blasted it out to everybody. But you know it’s definitely one of those joints in the club that’s gonna go crazy, that’s gonna send it up, like we did with “Swagga” like we did with “Put On” like why we always do at this time, basically this is what my job is. My job is to give ya’ll shit that have the model bitches running crazy and shit or have niggas bobbin they heads crazy like it’s “Can’t Tell Me Nuthin’” or “Flashing Lights” and of course I was always hit em with a curve to start off with. I mean ya'll know with that “Heartless,” that’s straight nigga shit. The whole album is shit that 50 would rap over but I’m tryin put some Phil Collins melody but even though I’m harmonizing, it’s still from a nigga perspective…This is still 100% rap perspective music with melody.

I just came on the phone to thank everybody for their support with “Love Lockdown.” The shit sold over a million on itunes thus far and bitches love it and niggas like to watch bitches dancing to it. Any females Djs and young ladies like it very much.

This album is really from my heart man, it’s an art project. I just appreciate everybody—Yeah for the people who like mad that I’m not rappin’ right now. Thank you very much for allowing me to sit on this basic, therapeutic couch. And let this one off and get out what I need to get out. You know there’s rumors that I got another album coming in June, I’m not gonna put that pressure on myself. I probably come up with another tour in June though. But that’s where I’m at in my life right now and I just wanted to release this music and I forced L.A. to give me this release date. I was like don’t fucking wait months and months to try to set it up. Just give people the music because I’m confident making music. We almost finished with Jay album. We was almost finished before I even dropped my album. So Jay album is coming in February. It’s a new Wayne special packaging coming , for this Christmas. We got a new record on there together, so we still gotta bunch of shit comin. But yeah, I just said all that to say thank you and shit and that’s about it.

Best of Both Offices: Aight, wth that being said everybody that’s istening on this call we are gonna release Kanye West’s new record, “Amazin’,” and just one last thing before you get of the phone. You’re moving your album date to the 24th, correct? You want to speak on that?


KANYE WEST: The label moved it up to get more Thanksgiving sales and they told me to get on the call and tell ya’ll I moved it because of the fucking excitement., but I don’t do that shit. Hey, the label moved it up, they tryna get more sales and shit—I’m excited about the album. I mean also, I got a single named Robocop, is completely different on the album, Paranoid is different and I did not leak those. And I didn’t leak the “Heartless” video, motherfuckas been leaking my shit. The only shit I leaked was “Heartless” and “Love Lockdown.” Those the only joints I actually put out. Yeah basically the label moved it up, they tried to get more sales and shit. If I get the sales, then cool. If I don’t. hey—I’ll have to bear the burden cuz I’ve been a cocky motherfucka and talked my shit and all that. People would love to see my not sell. But hey, it is what it is man, that’s the way life is man, but hopefully I can sell, we’ve been doing pretty good with the singles we’ve been dropping...

Best of Both Offices: With that being said, support “Love Lockdown, support “Heartless.” And we gotta brand new record coming today. It’s called Amazin’. It’s just you by yourself, Ye?

KANYE WEST: Naw, Jeezy on it. Jeezy came down to Hawaii wit us because everytime I would write a chorus or write any.type of hook, I’d be like man what would Jeezy do?
What would Jeezy say on this record, because at the end of the day I make my shit straight white t-shirt ready…


AUDIO: Kanye West Conference Call

0 comments:


 

Blair Blanco 2009 | Cash and Caviar